Saturday, February 4, 2012

Being sick sucks!

Since late Thursday night I've been sick as a dog. I still had to go into work on Friday because we were short-staffed, but also because I didn't want to go to the doctor. You call out sick, you have to have a doctor's note to return to work. I'm just now at the point where I'm going to have two years of medical bills paid off in another month. I certainly don't want more bills.

Anyway, when you're sick, you don't feel like writing or reading. It simply takes too much energy. Even writing this is difficult. I just started the new Robert Crais novel with Elvis Cole and Joe Pike, but I don't feel like reading it. That really sucks. I'm been waiting to read this novel for several months. I'm 400 words into a review of the 3-disc set of the 2005 version of King Kong, but I don't have the energy to finish it. I've got a short story that I promise the publishers I'd have finished this weekend, but it isn't going to happen unless a miracle takes place.

So, on that note, I'm going back to bed. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

P.S.

Six hours later.

I went to bed, but not before reading some more of the Robert Crais novel, Taken. That's how good Robert Crais is as an author. He makes me jealous. Here I am sick, but I've just got to read his newest book. If you're not a fan of Elvis Cole and Joe Pike, then shame on you. This series is the absolute best on the market. Except for Stephen King and Joe Lansdale, Robert Crais is the only other author I truly get excited about when a new book is coming out.

So far, Taken is making good on its promise. Two young Americans are in a place they shouldn't be and are kidnapped by the drug cartel. Elvis Cole is hired to find them. When Cole mysteriously disappears a week later, Joe Pike gets involved. You don't mess with Joe Pike, or hurt his best friend. Before he's finished the body count is going to be in the double digits.

Joe Pike is my literary hero! I wish I had a friend like Pike. Well, I guess I do in a way. He's my old karate instructor from back in Morehead City, North Carolina--Bobby Webb. He's a lot like Joe Pike, but also a really nice person. I miss my friend more than I do the ocean. I always kept him supplied in good books to read.

I want to go back to bed, but I hear the book sirens calling me as I write this. Later.

No comments: