Friday, June 20, 2008

A short comment about my short story, Shanghai Ed

The following short story, Shanghai Ed, was written for a friend (Ed) of mine at work who visited China this passed April with his lovely wife of many years. One of the cities they stayed in was Shanghai. When Ed returned, I jokingly started calling him Shanghai Ed and said that I was going to write a short story about him and his visit to China. In time, however, I began to seriously think about an actual short story, especially with the new Indiana Jones' movie getting ready to be released on May 23rd. So, I sat down and wrote a horror story during the last of April and the first half of May. It takes place in China right after World War II, when the Communist rebels were fighting Chiang Kai-shek for control of the country. The story is written in the tradition of the "serial" movies of the forties and fifties and is meant to be pure fun and popcorn entertainment. There's also a plug in it for one of my favorite movie heroes at the end of the story. I hope you enjoy reading it. Oh, I should say that the real Ed is now famous in the hotel where we work.

No comments: