Friday, March 23, 2012

A short peek at Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale

For over a decade, I've felt The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale was probably the best novel I ever read, and that's saying a lot. I've read thousands of books over the last fifty years, and there was just something about The Bottoms that resonnated with me and struck a cord in, not only my heart, but in my soul as well.

Now, I just started reading Joe's newest novel, Edge of Dark Water, and after twenty pages, it's possible that this book might just beat out The Bottoms. The promise is there, and when Joe makes a promise to his readers, he never breaks it. If I wasn't so tired from work, I'd stay up later and read more.

The story is about sixteen-year-old Sue Ellen, who discovers the body of her female friend, May Lynn, tied to a Singer sewing machine in the Sabine River where her father and uncle are poisoning the fish with green walnuts. Her father and uncle feel the body should be pushed back into the water. Less trouble for everybody. After all, dead is dead. Even the Constable feels that way, but not Sue Ellen and her two friends, Terry and Jinx.

If lovely May Lynn couldn't make it to Hollywood, then maybe Sue Ellen and her friends can take her ashes there. The only thing is a lot of people are going to be looking for them because of some lost money, and some of the people aren't very nice. In fact, one is a cold-blooded killer. Man, I want to find out what happens next.

After only twenty pages, I'm starting to talk and write like Joe Lansdale. Hot damn, this book is more fun than rolling down a hill with a bunch of armadillos.

Okay, all joking aside, if you want a great book to read by one of the best writers in the world, then run to the nearest bookstore and get yourself a copy of Edge of Dark Water. Joe R. Lansdale has no equal when it comes to plain old story telling. Also, when I finish the novel this weekend, I'll write a much more detailed review about it.

No comments: